Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Medical Insurance

Why is medical insurance so expensive for everyone? I'm looking for a good insurance plan that will cover my family. We are self-employed and I went looking for insurance on the internet to see what is out there. Coverage for only myself would cost me a couple hundred dollars a month; for the family about $400. Not bad I guess, considering it would cost me in the range of 300 bucks just to go get my yearly exam. More, if I need to get lab work done and all that good stuff.

In the city I live in our taxes are sky high; they are in all of Texas it seems. School taxes are astronomical and I don't even send my kids to public school. There should be some kind of credit given to those of us that home school our children.

How are we, as a nation, going to deal with our government turning a blind eye to all of those that need medical attention desperately? Our family, thank the good Lord, can afford to self-insure but what about those who cannot? I'm just a stay at home mom that doesn't work outside the home so I don't have employee benefits of any kind.

Even when I worked, there were people there that simply could not afford the coverage. There were others that worked only so their families could have some kind of health insurance coverage. What is happening to our American dreams? There are way too many people living on the streets and have no food or shelter let alone health insurance.

As our nation's population ages and the baby boomers are reaching an age where they are retiring and yet they have no money to live out what is supposed to be their golden years in a financially secure manner. What will become of those that do not have the means to retire comfortably. By comfortably, I mean in a dignified way where they don't have to feel like a burden on their children. Where their health needs will be met without having to wait in long lines as welfare recipients. Where somebody will give a rats ass.

I still have a good 20-plus years before I reach that age but am I really prepared? Is anyone? With Social Security threatening to be but a distant memory by that time, I often ask myself, do I have enough saved? Will the the government's inability to provide for its people, people that have paid their dues for decades -- a lifetime, ever be alleviated? How much savings is really enough? If a catastrophic illness should come upon our family, what then?

In my heart I know that it is God that I have to trust in, He is the only one that I can count on. It seems that for many the American dream is just that, a dream. Tonight, before going to bed, pray for those less fortunate than you. Because believe it or not - they're out there. Be blessed.

No comments: