Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Green Chile Pie Recipe


As with all my recipes. I do not measure ingredients. Sign of a true chef? More like a daring, rebel, wonder-mom that has too many things going at once to bother with trivial matters. This recipe is for a casserole-type dish that is called Green Chile Pie.


  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 10.75 oz. can Cream of Mushroom soup
  • 1 16 oz container of sour cream
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1 10.75 oz can Enchilada sauce
  • 1 4 oz. can of green chiles - I use mild cuz, remember, I'm a weenie
  • 2 10 oz. cans of Rotel tomatoes w/chiles
  • 1 lb. grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 bag of Doritos or tortilla chips
This is not for the weight conscious, if you haven't yet figured it out. If I make this for a group of my health-conscious friends, I substitute the beef with ground turkey breast, natural/organic chips, do low-fat cheese, soup and sour cream. I like it like that but my taste buds are damaged from too much healthy food; it's your call.

Put beef in skillet and I do not use oil since there is enough fat in there to brown it well enough. Right before it is thoroughly browned, drain the fat, I rinse it as well for good measure (and because I'm OCD) but you don't have to. Put it back on the stove and add the chopped onion, continue cooking until onion is clear. Now add the remaining ingredients, cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Get a 13x9 pan and put a layer of chips at the bottom, layer of meat mixture and follow with a sprinkling of cheese. Continue until all is gone with the final layer being cheese.

Bake in 350-degree oven for about 20 to 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven and let sit for about 10 to 15 minutes. This is muy, pero muy delicioso! I warn you I have to run up and down my stairs several hundred times out of guilt after having this dish. Is it worth it...you bet your green little chiles!

Enjoy!

No comments: