Thursday, July 26, 2007

Depression rears its ugly head

I've always thought, in my ignorance, that depression was a state of mind that people could easily pull out of. I've been reading a lot on it lately because my mother suffers from it as well as some friends of mine. One friend in particular gets into these worrying "binges" and worries constantly about things she cannot change. It's a vicious cycle.

Often I've wondered why this happens to some people and not others. It also seems to be more prevalent in women. Why does the outcome, in a lot of cases, result in suicide? These people are in a lot of pain; physical pain, it seems. Do you know anybody that is going through depression in their lives? How do you handle it? What can you say that will help them? Is there a natural cure for it or must these people take one of the plethora of pharmaceutical band-aids that are the mainstream nowadays?

A co-worker I used to talk to a lot at my old job suffers from severe depression. She is on Paxil and will have to take it, from what she told me, for the rest of her life. Does depression last a lifetime in some? I cannot imagine, nor do I want to, the pain that these people must be in to have no other choice but to resort to a drug-induced sense of well-being. I don't like taking any type of medication but I ask myself if I were in there shoes would I do as they do? Would somebody care enough to get me the help if I couldn't or wouldn't take the measure necessary steps to get well? From what I've read, some people don't even know that their loved ones are going through this episode in their lives. A lot of times they don't even find out until its too late.

Did people at the turn of the century get depressed, and if so, what did they do back then? Here's a LINK that has more information along with an audio clip. If anybody knows of a good natural way to alleviate this malady, would you please let me know? I'd like to be able to help those close to me battle this horrible disease.

No comments: