Sunday, September 16, 2007

Burning the midnight oil

Well, here I am again, after only 4 hours of another drug induced sleep, up at 6 am on a Sunday morning. Since I couldn't sleep I started praying; nothing in particular, more in general. I prayed for the women in Afghanistan too. I was watching CNN last night and saw a special about the horrible living conditions for these poor women. I cried all through it. My heart ached for them. For their futures, for their children. I prayed that somehow, in His infinite mercy, the good Lord would reach their souls and help them to get out of that situation. How? I don't know the answer to that but God is a merciful and loving God. He is the Almighty. What can a simple mom like me do for them; not much really, except pray that is. Every single day. I am thousands of miles away from them. I am thankful that God is omnipresent as well as omnipotent. Most of those people do not believe in Him. I know that. I think, however, that if enough of us pray about it, a revival could take place. Yes, in the middle of the desert, yes in a land and people so far away from Christianity. Why? How? Because God promised us in His word:

John 14:13, 14
"And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it."

Matthew 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

I realized, after watching this program, that I am truly blessed beyond words. I mean I have always known most Americans have it easy compared to people in many other countries but this really opened my eyes. For the life of me, I cannot fathom the fear, frustration and helplessness these poor women must live through day in and day out. My heart absolutely broke when they showed a young woman who was sold into marriage by her own alcoholic, gambling father. At the age of 7. At 11 she burned herself to escape the hurt and humiliation of the life she was forced to live. A beautiful girl with eyes haunted by the miserable past of her young life. I physically hurt for her. I still cannot get the image of her out of my mind. I so wish I could reach out to her and help her and the millions of other women in countries like that. Where women are seen as second-class citizens; as if they didn't matter.

In the heart of this humble wife and mother -- they matter more than they will ever know.

No comments: