Thursday, February 14, 2008

Men and rings

Ok, what is it with men? A few weeks ago I went to pick up a part for Mr. Sir's rig. I got there and purchased the part and as I was paying for it, the guy that was checking me out made a comment about my wedding ring. "Whoa, that's one huge rock you have there. You must be a very good wife indeed!" I smiled politely and just took my purchase and walked out.

As I was driving home I thought to myself, does that mean that this guy thinks that a "bad wife" gets a small ring or a cheap ring? What does he consider a good wife and what is a bad wife? I've never heard that one before.

The reason I mention this on here is because yesterday, as I was walking into Wallyworld, a newspaper salesman is giving me his sales pitch. He offered me a raffle ticket which he said was for winning a something or other I forgot what it was. As I was filling out the information on the ticket he made a comment about my ring (I know weird huh), he said, "Wow, that's one big stone on that ring, he must've done something really bad or he loves you very much." I got pissed off and I retorted, "Actually, I bought this myself." A lie, I know but what is it with men? I walked away and told him to forget the newspaper delivery thing, I didn't need it after all.

Does a man base the size of a ring for their fiancee/girlfriend/wife on how much they love them? I always thought it depended on how much they could afford. How much they love someone shouldn't be measured by the size of a wedding ring, should it? Am I missing something here?

Also, isn't it quite tacky that someone should point that out? When I admire another woman's jewelry I never say...oh, you must be a good wife, look at that rock! I wouldn't dare insult someone like that. I'm still reeling from that one. I mean I didn't even notice his fingers but after he said that I looked and noticed he didn't have a ring on his. Even so, I didn't say hey, why aren't you married, do women find you that ugly? Tacky right? Rude too.

On that happy note, dears. You all have a wonderfully peaceful night and a rejuvenating sleep. Hope you all had a great Valentines Day.


1 comment:

Asrai said...

I have a small ring. It cost pennies, as my aunt oft says about her own ring.

I don't care. It's not important.

I heard once on I believe Spirt Centered Relationships on Hay House Radio about a survey done by some jewler or somesuch. They surveyed women asking if they'd like to upgrade their engagment rings. 10 years later they checked back in and those who answered YES they would upgrade had a signfigantly higher divorce rate than those who said no.