Sunday, February 3, 2008

Jewelry Sales are Good if I Only Had More Time!

Now that my teenage-type offspring is going to college 3 times a week - Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, I find it difficult to book jewelry shows during the days that I am available to do them. I'm going to have to come up with a good plan to continue to do them. I need to put my thinking cap on as that leaves me with only Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I don't do Sundays.

I've been getting the bug again to make some more jewelry. I was cleaning and organizing my craft room and I saw my inventory of jewelry making supplies and call me sentimental but my tummy got butterflies. I wanted to sit down and play with the silly stuff. The crystals sparkled at me as if daring me to pick them up and create something marvelously blingy with them. The stones -- turquoise, rubies, coral, jade; among others, looked so pretty in a rainbow of colors. The silver beckoned me with its shiny bright reflection. The details of the Balinese silver beads with their intricate patterns took me back to when I first started making jewelry. It is so much fun to make it and then watch people's expression as they pick up a piece, admire it, put it back down, turn back pick it up again and come and pay me for something I enjoyed making so much.

There's nothing like the thrill of selling a beautiful creation made by your own hands. Some, I admit, look really nice; others, I finish making them and I shudder at their "ugliness" and wonder if anyone will ever like that one piece that I find dreadful. Amazingly someone always does. It's funny how beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.


No comments: